Ciao! Hello from Italy. We made it – FINALLY. This post is split in 3 parts – Salzburg Tour, driving, and trauma!
We decided to sign up for a tour called “The Mozart Tour” in Salzburg, it took in all of the major sites and was 1 1/2 hours long (perfect). We got picked up from our hotel and were driven in a van by a very nice guy. It was just me and Chris and another guy from Russia and our guide so it was nice because it was personal and friendly. Here are some of the best sights!
Academy of Music
Mozart's House, where he wrote several masterpieces.
Some of the old houses in Salzburg are built directly into the mountain and when they needed more room they would just dig further back.
An old horse pool – seriously.
Street view
Swiss Alps – our guide told us Hitler's Residence – the Eagles Nest is just over those mountains – so is Germany.
Estate owned by Harvard University – the lake was in the film The Sound of Music – does it look familiar??
Original mid-evil fortress.
It was a perfect day, even the guide was impressed. He took us out of the way of the tour to get some more scenic pictures.
If you look closely you can see a bear on that hillside. It is a zoo, although it used to be land where some crazy guy (I cant remember his name) bought all these animals and let them run loose.
Former hunting grounds and house.
I must say that one day in Salzburg was not enough – I fell in love with the city (and the country as we drove through it). By far, one of my favourite places ever.
Mozart's birthplace
Marionette Theatre from the Sound of Music – still does only puppet shows.
Does this place look familiar??? The steps??? They are from the Sound of Music as well – Do Re Mi!
After we were done in Salzburg we started on our way to Italy. The weather was amazing and the scenery through Austria was some of the best I have ever seen.
We drove through a lot of tunnels (one was almost 10 miles long). We enjoyed the little villages and the snow. The pictures definitely don't do it justice.
We passed through Liechtenstein:
We were back into Switzerland and drove through what they call Heidiland – from the book Heidi.
It was such a nice, sunny, lovely day that what happened next was a shock. We started up through the Alps, like the Sat Nav said and it started to look a bit foggy. Now, I had no idea what way we were going – I was just following. It started to rain and I started to get a bit nervous because we were headed up a mountain. Then we got this:
Terrified is not the word – there is none to describe driving today. We drove up the Alps – upon further inspection – up one of Switzerland’s highest mountain ranges. Earlier we were bothered by the tunnels obstructing our view – tonight we were happy for the cover of the tunnels. We got to the summit and had to make our way down through twists and turns and bridges and sheer drops. Then, right when I thought I could relax the darkness came and so did the torrential rain – lets just add in lightening for good measure. It was scary and I have never been so glad to be out of the car.
I am praying that tomorrow we don't drive through too many mountains and that the rain is light.
I knew this trip would be an adventure…
Tomorrow – Bern, Switzerland and the Swiss LDS Temple.
** Upon proof reading of this entry, I realize it doesn't make much sense. Sorry – its been a long day!
No comments:
Post a Comment