Alright, so I tend to do pretty stupid stuff a lot of the time. I think I used to do it more often when I was single – but lately I have been making up for it. Take the other night for instance….
I was getting ready to make a really nice dinner of lasagne. I had turned on the burner to boil some water and left it. I went into the other room to watch my riveting “Civil War” documentary (and no, that riveting wasn't sarcastic – it really is). Sometimes when there is water on the bottom of the pan it pops a bit as the burner gets hot. I started to hear some “pops” and thought nothing of it and continued to watch TV.
Several minutes later I was still hearing those “pops” and I thought that it was strange, but then thought to myself, I don't want to miss the show and I’ll check on it at the next commercial. I finally went into the kitchen to see what the problem was…..
As I walked into the kitchen it was filled with smoke. It took me a minute to figure out what was going on. I realized that when I turned on the stove…. wait, let me explain a bit – in England you turn on the power to the appliance through a switch AND the actual appliance once that switch is on. This is great for saving electricity – anyway, I noticed that I must have had BOTH burners on the last time I used the stove and then just turned the power off at the switch, forgetting to actually turn off the power on the stove. So when I turned it on BOTH of them started to heat up, which would be fine… if, I didn't put the mince (hamburger) on the other burner.
The rancid smell of plastic and mince, oh and SMOKE, filled the whole kitchen – the whole apartment for that matter – and I just yelled for Chris. As he came in we just laughed – you’d think after living here for 3+ years I would get how things work.
You’d think that was the end of the story and that I would be very careful about the stove, wouldn't you? Well the same thing happened the other day – and continues to happen – needless to say Chris has to follow me around “just to make sure”.
3 comments:
That's a funny story! I once started a fire in our oven, and on top of the stove too! At least you didn't have flames :)
wow...and I am going to let you live in my basement. I better reconsider. j/k totally love ya Jamers
Only you!
Post a Comment