Thursday, 15 October 2009

Scales and Exercise and Discouragement.. Oh MY!

Hello My Few Faithful (Lovely) Readers.  I have been a little bit slow at posting an update but here goes…
As far as weight loss:  Well, I have fallen off the wagon in the past few weeks, not only fallen off but have been run over and trampled on by the horses that pull the wagon.  Lets just say between migraines, MASSIVE blisters, cramps, discouragement… I could go on and on – my momentum has suffered.  I actually even weighted myself one week and had gained (not a great week).  But, I feel like I have finally managed to pick myself off the ground, dust myself off and really just get on with it.  I am quickly realizing that this is a “lifestyle”, not something I will be able to stop once I reach a goal weight or “get the hang of it”. That commitment has always been there but now I am finally getting it.
I was watching a show on TV called “My Big Fat Cycle Challenge” where there were 3 women who were going to be trained by the coach that helped win Britain their gold medal in cycling.  It was very interesting and the coach said something that shocked me.  All my adult life while I’ve been dieting or eating healthy, everything and everyone has told me that: if I eat the right things at the right times I wont be hungry.  But, that is where one of my biggest frustrations come in – I can eat all the right things and I am STILL HUNGRY!  So, I think, I must be doing something wrong!  This coach, this man who has degrees and gold medals told these overweight women who were working on getting healthy, “YOU WILL BE HUNGRY.  You are changing you life and you will be hungry it is part of it – get used to it.”  Thank goodness for that sentence.  It has finally given me “permission” to be hungry and not beat myself up if I am. 
So the healthy lifestyle moves on – slower than at first, but at least I am moving forward – that in itself is an accomplishment to me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to agree that when I was starting my healthy lifestyle I was hungry, for sure! Honestly as I stuck to it the hunger got less because my body got used to it, but there still were times I was hungry. Sometimes smaller meals throughout the day helps :) I think it is great that you are still working at it. You can do it!!!

Unknown said...

I agree with liz! I am sure you can do it!! A bunch of friends and I have been swimming twice a week and walking on day a week. And now on monday we are starting our own little slimming world group. fun stuff. Bring on the weight loss!! xx

Abbie said...

Totally true. You are cutting back on the amount of food you eat...so your stomach isn't as full...so you will be hungry. Frustrating though!! Good Job!