Monday, 28 September 2009

What I’ll Miss – English Summer

Although I am still quite far from actually coming home to America, I have noticed a change in my thinking since we got the first paperwork back.

There are a lot of things I am going to miss. Shocking, I know!

I have found myself saying, “This is the last time ____________.”

So, I think I will start writing about them, just so I can remember them and then, when I am really homesick, I can read back and remember what I loved – and there really are a lot of things.

Today though, I will miss the English Summer – something I NEVER thought I’d say. I wont miss the heat or humidity – but I will miss the seaside, the long hours of daylight, and the “holiday mentality”.

I love the seaside, if you’ve read my blog at all the last few years – you’ll know that. I love that it is like a time warp once you hit the seaside. You have the old fashioned beach chairs, .99 ice cream, kids running around – soaking wet in clothes, swimming costumes, undies, and sometimes nothing – and you know what, no one cares! They are at the beach!! On nice days (which are few and far between most summers) the beaches are packed – even if the beach is dirty or rocky – no one cares they just congregate to the beach.

The children here in England only have a summer vacation of 6 weeks and they use all that time enjoying the sun. The sun rises around 4:30 AM and it is still light around 10:30 PM. It leaves LOTS of time for people to get out and enjoy themselves – the English are great at BBQing.

The English love their holidays. They save up for them through the year and often go to hotter places like Greece or Spain. I love that this country takes time to relax an enjoy each others company. I think America should defiantly follow England's lead – I think it makes for a happier people.

I will miss the English Summer.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I do like the british summer when the sun is shinning and the weather is warm. In the NW it rarely happens that way! I cant believe you are going back so soon. We still havent started the paperwork. It will happen eventually though. Lee is working loads of OT right now so that we can get some extra funds to do it! xx