Hello Friends…
Well, even though it has only been since November that I had my last surgery, I had completely forgotten how nervous I got beforehand. I will be having my surgery next Tuesday and I am starting to get pretty nervous!
Next Monday I have to suffer through the unpleasantness that is “Bowel Prep” (I wont be sharing too many details about that!) I have to be at the hospital by 7:30 – that is, if they have a bed. I have to call an hour before hand to make sure there is a bed for me. Chris got the day off (thanks to a co-worker who is going to work his shift for him that day). He has the next day off too – and hey, lucky me I have a ride to the hospital!! I made it quite clear to the nurse at the pre-op appointment that I got really sick after I woke up last time, so she is going to make sure that I get the meds to help that BEFORE the surgery, not an hour or so after. Also, I have asked for some fluids in my IV after the surgery so I don't feel so dehydrated and get such a bad headache. I am hoping these things coupled with prayers, blessings, good doctors, and SMALL incisions will have me sleeping safely in my own bed the night of my surgery. Of course, I think I need to prepare that I might have to stay the night – but I am trying to be positive!
I am encouraged by the statistics I’ve found online for conceiving after the surgery. Granted, they aren't TOO high, but they are much more positive than I was thinking when we got the dreaded letter at Christmas.
Since May 6th, 2007 we have been working with various doctors to “fix” me. Thinking back I was so desperate to have answers. When I finally got those answers they were not at all what I thought they would be, and they stirred up emotions that I wasn't prepared for.
Some days I want to shout it out from the roof-tops, “I struggle with infertility! Please be patient with me!!” I want to explain to everyone why I avoid the “baby section” of the shops, why, at family parties, I “tune out” or walk away. Why I cant watch a show with a baby born in it without shedding a few tears. But, other times I just want to lay in bed and keep it to myself. Often I have wondered what I did to deserve it? Why things are so unfair! But most days, I don't do either – I get up in my one-bedroom apartment and cope. You’d be surprised at how many things you have to “cope” with when you are struggling. I get reminders constantly that I don't have children, and at the end of the day it isn't so much what I am missing out on – but what Chris is, what my parents are, what my family is missing out on – and that is when I break down. But, I keep going, and have for 3 years with the hope of a solution. I realize that this surgery may not provide my broken body with a way to carry a child, but if it doesn't, then I continue to hope – and just keep going.
Thank you, thank you, thank you, for your love, prayers, and support. They buoy me up when I feel down and they help me realize that Chris and I aren't alone.
3 comments:
Jamie - Best of luck with the surgery. I'm so glad your husband will be able to be there with you. I recently heard a great quote:
"Sometimes we will face things for which there is no earthly explanation. In those moments we must erect a sign that reads: "Quiet. God at work" Meanwhile, hold on. Keep Believing. Don't give up. Let God do His work in you. The greatest tragedy is to miss what God wants to teach us through our troubles."
I know that nothing anyone can say, will take away the heartache that you feel. And I will never pretend to know how you feel. But I do believe one glorious day you will be holding a sweet baby in your arms, and imagine the genuine perspective you will have gained. You are an amazing person. So keep hanging in there. Keep Believing.
jamie - good luck tomorrow (or, wait, is it already tomorrow there? weird)! i'm thinking & praying for you.
Good luck Jamie. I hope and pray that all goes well.
Michelle
Post a Comment