Monday, 5 April 2010

Easter in England

A lot of the time when I tell people that I live in England (or that I’m from America) they ask me what is the MOST different thing about living here.  I have to admit, when I first was planning on moving here I thought that very few things would be different.  I had visited before, but never lived here, and the things I did while on holiday didn't seem TOO much different than back home. 
BOY WAS I WRONG!
There are so many thing that are similar, but there are even more things that are different. 
Back home in Utah, I was very used to the Easter Bunny coming and visiting (on Saturday morning, we’d get our baskets so that on Sunday we could focus on the real meaning of Easter).  I was used to peeps, malted milk balls (that double as lipstick) and jelly beans.  Boy, was I surprised when on my first Easter in England, to begin with, I searched high and low for a basket – only to find one at the florist, extremely over priced, and just plain wicker – the day before Easter.
I found at the shops there were no Peeps or Jelly Beans or anything like that, but they did have….  CHOCOLATE EGGS.  No, not just little chocolate eggs, but hollow chocolate eggs that were as big as my hand – no, Chris’ hand! 
        
I am ashamed to admit, the first Easter we were here we went overboard and, I think, bought at least 4 for each of us (and I wonder where this extra weight came from).  Anyway…
Here in England, Easter isn't just a Sunday holiday, it is a four day holiday.
Good Friday:  Chris and I went to a multi-church open air service in the town square.  It was good, but after 30 minutes and only 2 songs into the service – we left.  Most of the shops are either closed or have “Bank Holiday” hours (10-4).
Saturday:  Funny enough, this is just a “regular” day.  There are no reduced hours – but I can say, with strong conviction – that if you go shopping for Easter eggs on this day, there will only be the very EXPENSIVE ones left.
Easter Sunday: Pretty much the same as it is in the states.  The church next door was packed all day long.
Bank Holiday Monday:  The stores are, once again, only run on reduced hours.  People don't have to work (mostly).  Families just spend time together (my extended family did DIY and cleaning out in the back garden).  Bank Holidays are notorious for rain and bad weather.
Some of the “traditional” foods at Easter are: Hot Cross Buns, Roast Lamb, and, of course, chocolate.
Hope you all had a lovely Easter and aren't suffering from chocolate overload TOO much, now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to TRY to work off some of about 10,000 chocolate calories.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree it is different. i had my mom send me baskets for my children and have kept them to use over and over again. I miss the American candy and way of doing things. I am pretty sure that my children in the whole of England who get a visit from the Easter bunny. But I am not about to change my traditions. I do love the 4 day weekend. It makes a lovely break. I hope you are both well. We move to the midlands on Friday. So much to do so little time! xx

Jamie said...

Alisha! I agree with you - I wont change my traditions either! I do miss the American candy - especially around holidays. Good luck on the move, let me know when you get there so we can FINALLY meet up! x