Wednesday, 30 April 2008

We'll Miss You!!

Isn't it nice when you meet someone that you automatically "click" with?  Someone who takes care of you and makes sure you are okay? 
This happened to me when I started working for the State of Utah.  I was scared and shy and awkward.  Almost right from the start a lovely older woman called Toni took me under her wing.  She let me bother her with question after question... and always provided me with at safe place to fall at work - along with a drawer full of candy.  She treated me and the other girls on our team like daughters.  And it wasn't just us that she took care of - she seemed to know everyone and everyone LOVED her.  When co-workers would have babies she would shower them with gifts and proudly display their pictures all around her office. 

Toni became a reason to go to work, even when things were horrible.   A few years ago Toni asked me to go on a vacation with her and her husband to Disneyland.  This was quite an offer.  I knew she was scared to death to fly and felt quite flattered that she was going to use me to make her feel more comfortable.  I remember her squeezing my hand as we were taking off.  We got to Disneyland and had a great time.  I felt like a child on a dream trip!

Once our office team was split up and all of us went our different ways - I was sad to loose that daily contact with Toni.  But, was always happy to receive her sweet emails and forwards.  I knew she was always there if I needed her, and I knew she thought about me as well.
Yesterday I got the sad news that Toni passed away.  It is like loosing a family member.  I am sad that I didn't get to see her one last time.  To give her a little hug or to make her laugh. 
There are so many people who's lives she's touched and she will be very, very missed.
I love you Toni!!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I\'m so sorry Jamie.  But, what a great lady!  I\'m so glad she found you.

Mary Mecham said...

Jamie. I\'m sorry to hear you\'ve lost such a close friend. My prayers are with you.

Danielle said...

Jamie - Aw, that is so sad!  Wow.  How tragic.  I\'m so glad you found a good friend in her though, and that she had someone like you to call a friend.
 
Danielle