Tuesday, 17 November 2009

I Will Miss the English Autumn

One thing I very, VERY quickly learned was that it is AUTUMN not FALL.  Half  of the English people had no idea what I was talking about, and the other have promptly corrected me.  It does sound a bit nicer anyway doesn't it?  Anyway, while an English autumn has nothing on Utah’s autumn – it is still unique and lovely in its own special way.  The leaves still change colours, and are still just as vibrant colours – but in the area where I live – there aren't many trees… at all.  This means I get to travel to get my autumn “fix”. 
You can tell that its autumn in England because the cold stops being “pleasant” and becomes a biting cold – all within a day or so, never to become pleasant again for a long, LONG time.  You see people walking around with layers and layers of clothes and out come the scarves, gloves, hats, coats, etc.  Also, once the time change comes along it gets dark around 4 (even earlier, deeper into the winter) and most afternoons and mornings the town is covered in a fog/mist that just adds to the autumnal feeling. 
But here in England, besides the change in wardrobe – few things change.  Parents still take their kids to the park, walk to the market, and enjoy being outside – cloudy or not (FREEZING or not) and I love that!
Here are some pictures from my English Autumn.  Enjoy!
Thetford Forrest:
IMG_0507

Tilney Church:
IMG_0473
Sandringham:
IMG_0458

No comments: