Tuesday, 18 August 2009

I Love Richard Simmons!

I hate to fill my blog with weight loss stories and news but, to be honest, I don't have much else to write about (not that I am complaining).
It has been 2 1/2 weeks since I SERIOUSLY started to eat healthier and try to incorporate exercise into my life.  I use the word “try” because there is little I like less than exercising. 
In my mind I have lots of goals associated with becoming healthier, and not just every 20 lbs. a ticket for myself to a musical, some of which are:  loose enough to safely have a child, go on a bike ride with my incredibly fit dad (and now friend, Kim), go jogging – for fun, shop at “regular” stores/thrift stores, etc….
Years ago when I first came to England for a friends wedding I lost 20+ lbs in preparation for it.  It was a good time, I felt GREAT and I was very proud of myself.
Since I have moved to England I have gained a lot of weight.  I know the thing I SHOULD say is that the motivation to start working on this was the drive to have a baby, but it wasn't… the real motivation was an email that a sweet friend sent me.  The day I got that email I started exercising.  Today, when I was feeling like I didn't care about it any more – I read that email and it made me want to work.
I don't think I will ever share how much I’ve lost on a public site like this (I cant handle the pressure) but suffice to say I was so pleased with the number on the scale last week – I actually started thinking that this whole, being healthy and fit thing, might be attainable.
But I still struggle with exercise – I hate it.  Well, most of it.  I love, LOVE my Richard Simmons DVD’s.  I know there are a lot of people that cant stand him but he makes me happy to exercise.   He says things like, “I am so proud of you!”, “You are doing so well!” and my all time favourite “You shined today!!”.  Today as I was exercising I found myself smiling and really enjoying myself.  I am pleased that I have found something that I can cope with.
I continue to use Sparkpeople.com and although at first it was quite overwhelming – it has been amazing for me and I find new recipes and motivation every day.  It does take time – tracking calories, all the food I eat, and all the exercise I do – but I have found it is worth it. 
I still cant see any results – but as long as the scale numbers keep going down… I’ll trust that it’s working!

4 comments:

Nutter said...

I love you!

Unknown said...

How wonderful that you have started and kept to it. That is the hardest part! I agree that Sparkpeople at first was overwhelming and time consuming. It really ended up being educational though and I learned so much about being healthy! I think it is absolutely AWESOME that you enjoy Richard Simmons. I used to love some really old Jane Fonda workouts! Whatever works for you! I wish at times we all had our own personal Richard Simmons walking around with us during the day giving us motivation and encouragement. How wonderful would it be to hear "You shined today" when we just feel like we can't do it anymore.

Alison said...

Great job!! Keep up the great work! I'm proud of you. Exercise is hard to do.

Mary said...

Jamie - I just wanted to let you know that I think you are amazing. And no matter what,keep trying! It doesn't matter if you screw up one day or don't do as great as you hoped one week, just as long as you get back on and try again. You are beautiful and I admire who you are as a person.