Tuesday, 9 June 2009

She Sells Sea Shells on the Seashore

Chris is a HARD worker.  He works 6 days a week 5 hours a day, sitting in the bedroom and answering phone calls from around the country from people who are having problems with their internet.  What this means for us is that every afternoon/evening from about 2:30-11:00 Chris is tied up with work and it leaves us little time to get out of the house and go on “dates”. 
To make the best of the situation Chris and I have decided to  spend every Friday “exploring”.  This is great for us because it involves our two biggest loves:  each other and travelling.  We have been without a car for nearly 6 months and now that we have it back and working the freedom is intoxicating!
Last Friday we decided that it would be a nice day to visit the seaside.  I don't know if it is because I was born in a state without a seaside but I LOVE spending time there.  I had been itching to visit again since it was last autumn that we visited there.  It only takes about 1 hour to the beach from where we live but since we’ve been to that particular beach so much we thought we’d visit a recommended on called Wells-next-the-sea.  The beaches in England aren't known for their crystal clear waters or sandy beaches – but looking at the pictures online there was more sand than pebbles – and we were sold!
We contacted our brother and sister in law to see if we could take our trusty travelling companion (our lovely niece Georgia).  Luckily they said we could take her along.  Taking her with us always makes exploring so much more fun and entertaining.  We don't take her when we are looking at old churches (I am sure that would be boring for her) – but we figured that she’d love the seaside.
We drove for about 1 1/2 hours to get to Wells.  It was overcast but not rainy (thank goodness).  We drove past the pier and it was disappointing to say the least.  Chris went in and spoke to someone about where the beach was and they said about 1 mile down the road.  We drove down there, parked, and started walking.  We eventually did find the beach but because the tide was out we were nowhere near the water.  We figured we’d make the best of the situation (water or not), sat down in the sand, took our shoes off, and ate biscuits!  Chris and Georgia had a nice time playing in the sand and I am sure Georgia at more sand than biscuits (see picture below!).
After a while we decided to walk along the beach.  Georgia took her shoes off and we enjoyed a stroll (still nowhere near the water).  Georgia and Chris found a crab crawling along the sand and at first Georgia was afraid of it, then looked at it up close, and then kicked it.  Then we continued to walk and started collecting shells for Georgia.  We decided to go and get lunch and walked back to the car.
On the way back Chris stubbed his toe and it started bleeding.  He was limping along and then Georgia started complaining about  her toe.  I thought she just was copying Chris until I took off her shoes and piles of sand fell out – all over the car floor.
We then treated ourselves to some nice fish and chips – they are always best at the sea side!  Then we bought our magnet (we collect them from everywhere we visit) and got some sweets and ice cream (no wonder Georgia loves hanging out with us!!!). 
The tide finally started to come in and Georgia and Chris looked at the boats – then it started to get quite cold and rain and we decided to go home.  Georgia is an angel in the car and is content to chat away, sing, or just look out of the window. 
It was a great day!  We love spending time with each other and with Georgia.  We love exploring and the beach (although next time hopefully we can go when the tide it coming in!)…. it all works out for a good day out.
This week we’ll be staying a little closer to home to save money for our weekend away up north.  I am so excited for it! 
Here are some pictures from the day:
IMG_0062
IMG_0063
IMG_0067
IMG_0068
IMG_0070 IMG_0064

4 comments:

Alison said...

You mean you don't consider our great lake a seaside?! I'm appalled :) J/K. I'm glad you guys had a good time there. My husband would be so envious of the fish & chips. I think we need to take some tips from you guys how to plan fun outings!

Jenni James said...

LOL! We LOVE Wells Next The Sea! It was one of our favorite haunts while we were there. And we actually would walk all teh way over to the other little island (by the water) and build sand castles there! LOL! Glad you enjoyed yoruself. We also love the candy shop! Jenni

Anonymous said...

Hubby is happy to travel too? Sounds like a good guy

corbanandnoelle said...

Oh.....how fun! I do remember the beaches in England having such cold water so the concept of beaches changed for me! It's fun to be out and feel the sand and enjoy LOOKING at the water, but I don't dare get in it! (I have been back to England several times since the mission when I was ALLOWED to get in the water!) But, what gorgeous pics! I hope you had a nice trip up north! And I look forward to your trip out to Utah...hopefully to stay!