Monday, 25 May 2009

I’ll Start Tomorrow… Or the Next Day…

Hello Internet!  It has been hot and sunny here in England – too hot, and too sunny – but that is the least of my problems!
I went to see the Dietician last Wednesday.  The day started out being long as I walked a mile to the train station, all through the mall in Peterborough, 1/2 mile to the hospital and did the whole thing again on the way back home (minus the mall).
The Dietician was very nice, a departure from the usual NHS staff, and took quite a bit of time talking to me about my new diagnosis.  She gave me a list of the things I can and cannot eat.  I cant eat anything that contains Wheat, Rye, Barley, and Oats.  That may not seem like a lot when you see it like that, but almost everything we eat has one of the 4 ingredients and what’s more, Coeliacs cant even eat anything that MAY have been contaminated with Gluten.  This means even a crumb can be shown in my levels in my blood tests.  For me and Chris this means separate toasters, separate butter, separate spreads, and separate anything that might be contaminated.  This also means I am the annoying one at the restaurant that needs to know EVERY ingredient and how and where the food has been cooked.  It also means I am going to be the one who has to have my special bread on a special tray for the sacrament (ohhhh the embarrassment!!!). 
The good thing – it isn't life threatening and the damage can be reversed – IF I stick to a completely Gluten free diet.  The dietician told me to have a nice weekend and don't start the diet till I feel ready or else I’ll just fail.  This weekend Chris and I went to the shop and got pasta, bread, tortillas, cookies, cheesecake, crisps, biscuits, and chocolate for my “last Gluten filled weekend”!  We went out to dinner and had pizza, chips, and fried mozzarella.  The sad thing is, is that most of the things I’ve eaten this weekend have been very disappointing, really yucky. 
Most the time I feel quite positive about it but then my thoughts turn to everything I wont be able to eat again (mostly around holidays – pumpkin cookies, pumpkin pie, pie, sugar cookies, gravy, fresh rolls, pancakes… the list goes on and on….) I cant lie about it (they’ll be taking my blood each month or so to check my levels) and also seeing the Dietician.  I am just going to have to bite the bullet and do it and hopefully not cheat TOO much.
I had set the goal of starting tomorrow, but I keep making up excuses and think maybe I’ll start another day…. :)

2 comments:

Lynsie said...

It is SO hard to change a diet! I just recently had to make a diet change eliminating processed sugars and anything that isn't whole grain. It's been really hard because I love sugar. I crave sugar!

I've known someone who had to go on a gluten free diet, and it sounded really difficult because like you said, everything has gluten in it. Luckily there is gluten free food out there.

Best of luck to you!

Liz said...

Been thinking about you. Good luck with the diet. I know two families with children who have Celiacs and have seen how much better they felt after changing to a non-gluten diet.

Good luck!