Saturday, 7 February 2009

Tender Mercies

Last Sunday I taught the lesson in Relief Society. I searched all over for some ideas of what to teach about and while looking I stumbled upon my favourite conference talk. Ever. As I was debating if I should teach it or not, my computer froze and the computer (and the Lord) made the decision for me.

The talk was The Tender Mercies of the Lord by Elder Bednar. As I was preparing the lesson I started to think what things in my life are "tender mercies" and I couldn't think of many. This made me really sad that either, I wasn't getting any OR I wasn't recognizing them. While I was teaching the lesson, it hit me that I wasn't recognizing them. At that point I made a decision: I would take more notice.

Of course, this week has been horrible and I have found it VERY difficult to think positively enough to find them.

Tonight I was thinking and looking back at the week, while doing so I starting to find a steady stream of "tender mercies" that have to do with my experience with infertility. I started to see that friends have reached out to me in several different ways, sharing their struggles and experiences to help me know - I am not alone in this.

I think with matters of infertility it is easy to feel alone, your spouse doesn't quite get it, and lots of people don't want to talk about it. I struggled at first wondering if I should make my situation common knowledge among my friends and family - but I am glad I did.

I am thankful for those who have shared, and continue to share, their feelings and situations with me - because of them, Heavenly Father got to share a "tender mercy" with me - and luckily this time - I was listening.

No comments: