Thursday, 1 January 2009

A New Year *sigh*

I hate New Years Eve - I always have, I used to think that it was because I didn't have a partner to spend it with or that I didn't do fun things, but it turns out - I just don't like it.  I know I haven't been a complete failure this last year, but I think this stupid holiday makes me think of how I've fallen short.
I usually do a list (in my head) of my "resolutions" but find that calling it a resolution instead of a goal or habit, doesn't make it any easier to keep, and I usually don't, I never do actually.
So, these past few days I have been consumed with thinking of things that I need to do better this next year and had a bit of an overwhelming feeling trying to figure out how to make it happen.
One day years and years ago, when I was stuck in a rut, I went to one of the best friends I've ever known and also someone who knows how to get things done - my nanny mom Gail.  She had me sit down and do a monthly goal list.  She proceeded to fold the paper in quarters and label each box:  Spiritual, Physical, Financial and Mental.  In each box we wrote goals that were not unattainable, but that were easy, examples?  Read one book a month, exercise 3 times a week, $10 in savings, focus on the positive, etc.
I think this is what I'll do again -- at the bottom of the paper she wrote in big letters - DO IT DAMN IT! I think I will look forward with those word in my mind this new year and work on improving slowly instead of failing quickly.
***
Just as one more note - sorry I didn't keep up on my countdown to Christmas but I've added a new album with some pictures from the seasons... but the best thing about the holiday??

THESE 5 (soon to be 6) kids are one of the BEST things about my life England.

No comments: