Monday, 3 November 2008

One Year Older

Hello Internet.  I hope you all had a very good Halloween. 
As for me, it was my birthday.  Now, I have not had too much good luck with birthdays so needless to say I didn't hold out hope for this one.  I kept joking to Chris that I was just going to sleep until Saturday morning.  He didn't let me - I awoke to a lovely breakfast in bed (made by Chris).  He seemed more excited about me opening my presents than I did.  When I did open them I was pleasantly surprised by a CD that I had really wanted, one CD that I already had (its okay, he didn't know), and a lovely silver heart necklace.  He did very good.  I also got some clothes from my mom back at home.  I got a great phone call from my mom and dad, which topped of the great morning.   I was so glad that they called even though it is hard to be away from home for me, but it gets especially hard on birthdays and holidays.  I just relaxed before we were supposed to go out to dinner - I had a bit of a set back of fleeting depression - but after I read what Chris wrote about me on his blog, there was no way I could be depressed and we got ready and went to Chili's.  This is a special treat because it tends to be kind of expensive and it is in Cambridge - but it was a special day so we went.  It was such good food!!  Then we came home and relaxed.  It was a low-key but absolutely lovely birthday.
The weekend was made even better by my Saturday.  Some Americans that I know had arranged to go to the base and they were kind enough to invite me to go along.  One of the girls is called Jenni.  She has a husband in the military and she was the one with access to the base.  She is such a fun person, not only does she have 6 kids, but, she is on her 3rd book.  She is re-writing all of Jane Austins books for teens.   The other girl is called Natalie and she is in a similar situation as me.  She married an Englishman and moved from California to be here.  She and I have a lot in common and it is very good to have someone who knows how I feel.  We went to the base and we were in HEAVEN!!  We got to eat at Taco Bell, went to a mall type place and got some holiday candles and then we went to the grocery store on base, at this point I thought I'd died and gone to heaven... isles and isles of American food.  If I tried really hard I could almost forget I was in England.  I was surrounded by American accents and using dollars!!   Jenni shared her groceries with us. I got things that I had been craving for a year.  She also was so kind to get me a Yankee Candle with an amazing top for Christmas, as a birthday present.  We shopped and shopped and looked and looked.  Not only was the experience so fun, but I made some great friendships with Jenni and Natalie.  When I was wavering if I should go or not, my wise mother said -- you've been craving friends and Taco Bell, you never know what a blessing this might be.  And she was so right.  Now I have an invite to Bunco on the base every month were I get to meet more Americans, but more importantly friends.
This weekend has been unforgettable.  There are few times, especially as of late, that happiness has been a part of my life.  Chris makes me happy but that is the extent of it.  It just goes to show how the little things mean so much.  I am thankful for Chris for making such an effort this year for my birthday - he knows how difficult its been for me.
I have so many plans for this new year... I like to try to make Birthday Resolutions and I have lots of goals for the coming year - and hopefully most of them will take place in America.  I just have to keep telling myself -- STAY POSITIVE - after all, I may be on the upper end of it, but I am still in my 20's!! 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Jamie!  I\'m so glad it turned out well for you.  What a blessing to have a good husband and find good friends.  I hope things continue to look up!

Unknown said...

That was my comment!  I put in the wrong email address.  :)  Love, Julia

Unknown said...

Happy Late Birthday Jamie!  I am glad it was a good day for you and I wish you happier days to come.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday girly, I\'m glad you had a good day...And don\'t worry about the upper end of your twenties, when people say their 30s are better than their twenties they aren\'t lying! I\'m 31 now and so far the past two years have been some of my happiest ever. The twenties are hard, so just enjoy them while they last but it gets better :) Have fun with your new pals, no one can pull ya out of a funk like a good friend!Love Senta