I have been performing off and on in front of groups of people since I was 5. I can sing in a group and not be too nervous, but make me play piano and I am a bundle of nerves.
When I was asked to play a solo in church before I move, I said okay - but procrastinated til 3:00 AM Sunday morning to pick a song.
So when I got to church and STILL hadnt decided on a song, I picked the easy one and sat down to wait for my turn.
There were two speakers before me.
The girl who was going to speak before me got up and started talking... suddenly she turns white as a ghost and says, "well I'm sick so I'm going to..."
And she faints.
Luckily there were people behind her to catch her and break her fall.... they all huddle around her and the crowd starts to whisper.
Everyone is looking at each other... while I am thinking -- Oh great! I have to follow that?!!?!?
One of the men on the stand, stand up and say - "We'll now have a musical performance by Sister Wilcox"
Needless to say there was no reason to be nervous... I could have played any song and no one would have noticed they were too busy whispering about the fainting woman.
No comments:
Post a Comment